Visa Solutions For Educational Institutions

Based in North Carolina, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm counsels and represents educational institutions throughout the Southeast U.S. Our attorneys have experience assisting multiple educational systems, including public K-12 and private secondary and post-secondary institutions, with their U.S. immigration matters.

Common visa solutions for educational institutions include:

  • Cap exempt H-1B for researchers and professors: The H-1B category is often the only nonimmigrant visa category available for a U.S. employer to use to employ a researcher or professor from a foreign country. The employer must be seeking an employee to fill a "specialty occupation," which usually requires a baccalaureate degree or higher.
  • TN for college, university and seminary professors: This visa category is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens who are working at a professional level for a U.S. employer.
  • O-1 extraordinary ability visa: These visas are for those who are highly talented or renowned in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics. In addition, the employment position being offered must require the services of such a talented person.
  • Special handling for professors: A U.S. college or university may offer a foreign national professor a full-time teaching position and sponsor him or her for permanent residency status. Documentation is required to show that the foreign national was more qualified than any U.S. applicant.

Learn More

Please contact one of our attorneys for additional information regarding visa solutions for educational institutions. Call our Charlotte lawyers at 704-442-8000, or contact Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm by email.