My employer has timely filed a petition to extend my status. Do I need to stop working when my current status expires?

If your employer filed an I-129 to extend your status before your status expired, you may continue to work with that same employer for a period of up to 240 days while your petition for extension is being processed. The 240 days will begin on the day on which your previous status expires. If your extension is denied, your permission to work will automatically terminate, even if it has not been 240 days since the expiration of your original status.

Return to prior page.