Catherine Magennis is committed to providing advice and advocacy within the complicated immigration system. As the wife of an Irish immigrant and granddaughter of an Italian immigrant, she personally understands the stress of immigration issues on families and businesses.
Catherine firmly believes in open communication, and she works closely with clients to shape the best legal strategies. She has successfully represented a broad range of clients in naturalization and citizenship cases, waivers, adjustment of status (permanent residence/green cards), consular process, temporary protection status (TPS), deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA), special visas for juvenile immigrants (SIJS), U visas, VAWAs and deportation defenses.
Fluent in Spanish, Catherine enthusiastically represents her clients to help them achieve the American Dream.
- Presenter, "AILA's Military Assistance Program (MAP)," AILA New York Chapter, Nov. 2022
- Presenter, "Immigration 101 and Hot Topics for Juvenile Law Attorneys," 2021 Mecklenburg County Bar Juvenile Law Conference
- Speaker for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) for the Mecklenburg County Bar, Feb. 2019 - 22
- Speaker for Immigration Issues in Family Law (CLE) presented at Mecklenburg County Courthouse
- Ukrainian Refugee Crisis - US Immigration Options and Challenges, April 2022, Mecklenburg County Bar Continuing Legal Education
Honors and Awards
- Business North Carolina (BNC) 2021 Legal Elite
- Super Lawyers, N.C. Rising Star designation, 2022
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Bar – Immigration Section, Co-chair, 2018 – 21
- Explaining the impacts of the latest court rulings on the DACA program, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm White Paper, January 2021
- An in-depth analysis of the naturalization process, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm White Paper, March 2020
- North Carolina, 2011
- Connecticut, 2014
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina (J.D. - 2011, Honors: With Honors)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., Honors: Phi Beta Kappa)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- AILA Member, 2011 - Present
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- Military Committee, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2022 - 23