William R. Hummel knew he wanted to pursue a career in Immigration Law after volunteering with the Latin American Coalition in Charlotte as an undergraduate at Davidson College. From there, he attended University of Florida College of Law and has been practicing since 2012.
William is one of a limited number of attorneys certified as a Specialist in Immigration Law by the North Carolina State Bar. He supervises and manages the Firm’s Education Specialty Practice Group, which is dedicated to providing innovative legal solutions to the education community, including teachers, professors, administrators and infrastructure personnel.
In addition to the education field, William represents employers, entrepreneurs and employees in a variety of industries including, but not limited to, financial services, specialty chemical, biomedical research and technology.
William assists companies and individuals with nonimmigrant work visa options, as well as applications for permanent employment certification for professionals and skilled workers and immigrant visa petitions for individuals of extraordinary ability, outstanding researchers and multinational executives and managers.
Furthermore, William supports clients with global (non-U.S.) immigration matters and also oversees the firm’s family-based immigration and citizenship/naturalization practice.
William is fluent in Spanish and spent time studying abroad in Spain and Argentina.
- Speaker, “Immigration Law Overview,” University of North Carolina Charlotte, April 2017, April 2018 and April 2019
- Moderator, “Building a Better Global Practice,” American Immigration Lawyers Association, Global Migration Section, November 2018
- Speaker, “Immigration Law Overview,” Davidson College, February 2015, October 2016 and October 2018
- Speaker, “Comprehensive Inadmissibility: Waivers from 212(a) to (t),” American Immigration Lawyers Association, Carolinas Chapter, September 2018
- Speaker, "Immigration Law Overview”, University of North Carolina Charlotte, April 2018
- Speaker, “Inadmissibility and Collateral Issues with Employment-Based Non-Immigrant Visas,” American Immigration Lawyers Association, Carolinas Chapter, September 2017
- Speaker, “Immigration Today | Updates Under the Trump Administration,” March 2017
- Speaker, “The Role of the Paralegal in Employment-based Cases,” AILA Carolinas Paralegal Conference, Wake Forest University School of Law, September 2016
- Speaker, “U.S. Immigration Law Update,” Lincoln Economic Development Association, June 2015
- Speaker, “Global Visas and International Assignments,” Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm Quarterly Webinar, December 2014
- Speaker, “Introduction to Global Visas and International Travel,” Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm Quarterly Webinar, September 2013
Honors and Awards
- Board Certified Specialist, Immigration Law, North Carolina State Bar
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2022 – 24
- Pro Bono Honor Roll, Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy and Legal Aid of North Carolina-Charlotte, 2020
- University of Florida Levin College of Law Book Award
- Who’s Who Legal, Corporate Immigration Lawyers, 2020 – 23
- Contributor, ICLG Corporate Immigration Laws and Regulations Guide, ICLG.com, June 2023
- COVID-19 updates: What to know before traveling internationally, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm White Paper, June 2022
- COVID-19 and international travel issues, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm White Paper, November 2020
- Seventy Days and Counting into the Trump Administration, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm White Paper, March 2017
- How Far Will He Go? Predictions for Changes in U.S. Immigration under the Trump Presidency, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm White Paper, November 2016
- Global Visa and International Assignments, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm White Paper, December 2014
- Common International Travel Issues for U.S. Citizens, Garfinkel Immigration Law Firm White Paper, May 2014
- North Carolina, 2012
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida (J.D./M.A., cum laude - 2012)
- Davidson College (B.A. - 2006)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Chair, American Immigration Lawyers Association, Global Migration Section, Audiovisual Committee, 2017-19
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- Chair, Global Migration Steering Committee, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2023 - present
- Vice Chair, Global Migration Steering Committee, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2022 - 2023
- Global Migration Steering Committee, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2021 - 2022